Hi.

welcome to 5/8ths

Mapleleaf Residence: Week Three

Mapleleaf Residence: Week Three

 Tools of the trade

Tools of the trade

We've had the house for just over three weeks now, and Week Three was probably our most productive. Interior framing is about just about finished, rough plumbing is about 90% done, and rough HVAC is about 65% complete. Below is a random sampling of images from the last week and a half or so:

 
 Hopefully this will help it look less barn-like.

Hopefully this will help it look less barn-like.

We're removing some of the mansard/gambrel hybrid roof in the corner where we added the third bedroom. We have something exciting planned for the exterior treatment there (stay tuned). At the right side of the T-111 siding, you can see some color tests for the exterior paint. We're going to go with the darker gray.

 
 Should we keep that wallpaper?

Should we keep that wallpaper?

We've been using the master bedroom as a makeshift office. Desk was hand-crafted with care by Brad. Unfortunately this office is on the second floor and we haven't had usable stairs since we added the third bedroom, so we have to climb a ladder every time we need to get upstairs.

 

We raised the floor level at the rear of the house, which is on a slab, to match the rest of the first floor. We didn't like the "back of house" vibe it was giving off before.

 

Some pictures of the rough plumbing installation. We have some wall-mounted faucets for the double vanity in the new upstairs bathroom that will be pretty slick.

 
 For the ladies

For the ladies

Brad was temporarily stuck in this position while trying to sister a joist the plumber had to cut for a drain pipe.

 

Rough HVAC in progress. Furnace was only 10 years old so we are re-using it but we are moving it to a new utility closet.

 

We had to start framing the new stairs because there's a return air duct going somewhere in there. That door will no longer be there once the stairs are complete.

 

We extended the span of the main support beam of the 2nd floor so we shored it up by bolting two more 2x10's to the two that were already there. Better safe than sorry. This was right before Ben and Joyce helped us lift the beams while Jess nailed them in until we could bolt them.

 

Shoring up the beam allowed us to make the wing wall on the left a lot smaller and therefore open up the main living space the the kitchen.

That's all for now, I'm about to head to Ann Arbor for the game while Brad works on the house (MUHAHAHA). Tomorrow we are going to frame out the new stairs and we're going to make another time-lapse video.

Mapleleaf Residence: Weeks Four and Five

Mapleleaf Residence: Weeks Four and Five

Mapleleaf Residence: Week Two